Ready to see what radically personal customer service looks like? Sign up for a free demo with Gladly today.
Help desk technicians, sometimes also referred to as computer help desk technicians, are the first line of defense for any technical-related customer issues. Help desk technicians are usually the first point of contact for customers who are trying to work through any technical problems, and they can typically be reached through phone, live chat, or even in person.
While help desk technicians need to have a strong understanding of software, troubleshooting, and diagnostic repairs, they also need to be trained on products and services in order to triage and answer questions as needed.
Help desk technicians are the technical backbone of any customer service team, and hiring a skilled, experienced, and multi-faceted individual is paramount if you’re going to provide the best support to your customers.
Below we’ll get into the major tasks and qualifications you should be identifying in your help desk technician job description.
Find mentorship opportunities, free courses & more in Gladly Connect.
Help desk technician tasks
Again, because these individuals need both soft skills and technical skills, you want to create a task description that highlights both of these requirements.
Your help desk technician tasks should include the ability to:
- Manage Help Desk tickets in a timely manner
- Respond to customer issues via phone, email and computer chat
- Provide customer assistance
- Document customer interactions
- Run diagnostics to resolve customer reported issues
- Escalate issues to higher levels of support with more difficult cases
- Install, make changes, and repair computer hardware and software
- Follow-up with customers to ensure issues are resolved
- Train computer users
- Communicate effectively with customers to provide personalized support
- Write and edit training manuals as needed
- Run reports and analyze common complaints
- Provide training for other staff members for troubleshooting support
- Walk customers through any technical issues they may be having
The goal with computer help desk technicians is to turn a potentially frustrating experience into a seamless one. Personalized attention, patience, excellent communication skills, and the technical prowess to simplify customer problems are all necessary qualities in a help desk technician.
Help desk technician qualifications
What qualifications should your help desk technician have?
If you’re going to attract quality candidates, you need to set the tone by creating a thorough and accurate set of qualifications on your job description.
Employers typically look for:
- At minimum, an Associate’s degree in computer science or related field. BA preferred
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven experience as a help desk technician or customer support role
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer when operating primarily on Windows operating systems
- Flexibility to work a variety of shifts with minimal notice
- Individuals proficient with both MAC and IOS computers
- Excellent communication skills
- Detail-oriented individuals
- Organized technicians who can keep help desk tickets in order
- Technicians who can diagnose and resolve basic and advanced technical computer issues
- Willingness to learn new technologies and systems
- A good understanding of hardware, computer systems, and software
- Proficiency in English and other relevant languages (if needed)
One of the quickest ways to root out unqualified computer help desk technician candidates is by creating a thorough, specific, and demanding set of qualifications. By doing so, you ensure to deter candidates who don’t fit your needs and attract top talent who are looking to become a part of a serious organization.
Gladly is a customer service platform for digitally-focused B2C companies who want to maximize the lifetime value of their customers. Unlike the legacy approach to customer service software, which is designed around a ticket or case to enable workflows, Gladly enables radically personal customer service centered around people to sustain customer loyalty and drive more revenue.
The world’s most innovative consumer companies like Godiva, JOANN, and TUMI use Gladly to create lasting customer relationships, not one-off experiences.