If you’re not seeing your support center as a revenue generator, you’re not tapping into its full potential. The best ecommerce retailers on the market today are teaching their customer service teams how to upsell and cross-sell.
Let’s take a look at upselling and cross-selling in action, what it takes to transform your agents into sales experts, and some of the basic templates your agents can build off of to start leaning into these opportunities.
What Is Upselling and Cross-Selling?
Upselling involves getting a customer to purchase more quantity of an item or a more expensive version of an item. Cross-selling entails getting a customer to purchase complementary products.
The benefits of cross-selling and upselling are creating new revenue opportunities where they otherwise wouldn’t have existed prior and getting to show customers you understand their unique tastes and needs. In doing so, support agents make shoppers happy even though they’re spending more.
How to Upsell and Cross-Sell Like Sales Experts
Customers now practically expect support agents to sell to them. Gladly’s 2022 Customer Expectations Report (CER) found that 66% of consumers prefer brands that know them and can recommend things they would like. On the frontlines of the customer experience, support agents can take initiative with some of the following scripts, which show how to upsell and cross-sell by making recommendations and jumping on revenue-generating opportunities.
The key to upselling is identifying the right context for suggesting a higher quantity purchase or more expensive item. Here are a few opportunities to look out for, and what agents can say:
1. When customers ask about a low-cost product:
- “That’s a solid choice, but I think [upsell item] might be an even better option for you because [personalized reason why upsell item works for the customer’s needs or preferences].”
- “This is a great choice, but if you want something that’s a little more [product feature], you should check out [upsell item].”
2. When customers buy low quantities of a product:
- “This is a popular one. You might want to stock up on these if you can, they go fast.”
- “These are great, you’d be surprised how fast you’ll go through them.”
Customer Support Hero Resources to Empower Your Team
Cross-selling requires agents to have a deep knowledge of the brand catalog and how products complement one another. Savvy agents can definitely take advantage of these situations. Here’s how they may apply across different industries:
1. For a clothing/beauty retailer:
- “What really goes well with [original item] is this [cross-sell item], that’s a combo our shoppers love.”
- “You could even try pairing the [original item] with this [cross-sell item].”
2. For an electronics retailer:
- “This product will be great for you, but you’ll also want to get this [cross-sell item] for even more power.”
- “[Original item] is perfect for that issue you’re having, plus if you get [cross-sell item], you’ll be able to [added benefit].”
Technology to Enable Upselling and Cross-Selling
In Gladly’s 2022 Customer Expectations Report, one in four customers said they’ve purchased an item recommended by a customer service agent.
While these templates help your team know how to upsell and cross-sell, brands will only see results when they’ve invested in the technology and training that enable agents to make these recommendations. Upselling and cross-selling can increase revenues by anywhere from 10% to 30%, so finding the tools to make the most of these scripts and your staff can have a significant impact on your bottom line.
That’s where Gladly comes in.
How Gladly Helps CX Teams Upsell and Cross-Sell
Gladly’s support platform elevates service reps into Support Heroes, empowering them with accessible product and customer knowledge to make upselling and cross-selling a snap. A centralized knowledge base lets agents tap into product and brand information with ease, never skipping a beat to make a purchase recommendation. Plus, a database of customer details collects all the essential info about shoppers that can be called upon in a pinch to know what products a customer might like.
Experience the first all-in-one customer service platform