Ready to see what radically personal customer service looks like? Sign up for a free demo with Gladly today.
Every business requires a customer contact agent to help manage inbound customer service request problems, issues, and general questions.
The role of a customer contact agent is important to ensure customer satisfaction scores remain positive in your company, and hiring an unqualified contact agent can negatively impact your brand.
What does a customer contact agent do?
Typically, customer contact agent duties and responsibilities include handling calls, support requests, and ensuring customer satisfaction. The channels that a customer contact agent uses varies on your call center and customer service platform. For today’s modern customer experience strategies, your customer contact agents must be trained on your phone and IVR support system, online and in-app chat, social media chat, and SMS text messaging for service questions.
Experience the platform as a Gladly support hero with a guided tour
Sample Customer Contact Agent Job Description
Our mission is to [insert company mission]. As our customer contact agent, you’ll be tasked with the most important job at our company—customer happiness. You’ll be responsible for creating experiences for customers that have a direct impact on the health and bottom-line for our company.
Contact Center Agent Responsibilities
- Answering and responding to inbound customer calls
- Responding to customer emails and live chat inquiries
- Resolve customer complaints and issues
- Sell and promote products/services while on call
- Escalate issues to supervisors and managers
- Leverage the internal knowledgebase to quickly answer inquiries
- Knowledge of IVR and call routing systems
- Understanding of basic live chat and service technology for fielding customer requests
- Experience in a high call volume environment
Contact Center Agent Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1-3 years of experience in a call/contact center environment
- Knowledge of customer service best practices
- Skilled in documentation and note-taking during calls
- Excellent data entry skills
- Empathetic and personable call demeanor
- Excellent writing skills
Final thoughts: Contact center agent job description
In today’s modern work environment hiring remote contact center agents is fast becoming the new normal. When hiring remote contact center agents, it’s important that you find candidates that are excited about your product, brand, service, and/or company. Excitement of your brand as well as the necessary skills shown above will lead you to selecting great candidates that are capable of working in a distributed contact center.
After you’ve created your candidate shortlist, make sure to use these customer service interview questions.
Gladly is a customer service platform for digitally-focused B2C companies who want to maximize the lifetime value of their customers. Unlike the legacy approach to customer service software, which is designed around a ticket or case to enable workflows, Gladly enables radically personal customer service centered around people to sustain customer loyalty and drive more revenue.
The world’s most innovative consumer companies like Godiva, JOANN, and TUMI use Gladly to create lasting customer relationships, not one-off experiences.